2019: The Year of the Resurgence of Ransomware Attacks
A few months ago, Ransomware attacks began to decline in frequency and severity and everything seemed to indicate that the worst part was over. However, this turned out not to be the case.
The predictions were misleading, a new study published by McAfee shows that Ransomware attacks have doubled in the last year, with an increase of 188% in the first quarter of 2019.
Ransomware attacks in 2019: What do they have in common?
- All sectors, without exception, are being affected. The health sector, the education sector and government agencies are being particularly punished. In the US alone, more than 50 state and local government entities have been attacked between January and July.
- Most attacks are characterized by including innovations in the code and modifying attack methods. The attacks are also becoming more specific as a way to get more lucrative results.
- Dharma (also known as Crysis), GandCrab and Ryuk are being the most used Ransomware families so far.
The following graph, obtained from the report, clearly shows the change in trend we have been experiencing since the beginning of the year.
Ransomware attacks in 2019:
To enumerate all the attacks that have taken place since January would be impossible (we would not have enough space in this post), so we will review those that have been more significant:
· Altran Technologies
· Salisbury Police Department (Maryland)
· Bridgeport Public Schools (Connecticut)
· Dublin´s Tram Service (Ireland)
· Apex Human Capital Management (Payroll Software Provider)
· Cardiology unit at Cabrini Hospital (Melbourne)
· Crosby International School District (Texas)
· Container World (Warehouse and logistics company)
· Water district (Colorado)
· Boston Legal System
· Albany Police Department (NY)
· Jackson County´s IT systems (Georgia)
· Website Nagich
· Chinese Government website
· Ballard NW Senior Center (Seattle)
· Sir John Colfox Academy in Bridport, Dorset
· Orange County computer network (North Carolina).
· Taos Municipal Schools digital services (New Mexico)
· Hexion y Momentive (Two large chemical companies based in the US).
· Norsk Hydro (Norwegian metallurgical company).
· Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
· WHCGPA (Women´s Health Care Group of Pennsylvania)
· Garfield County´s IT systems (Utah)
· Augusta municipal operations (Maine)
· New Jersey pediatric orthopedic practice
· Stuart´s City Hall (Florida)
· Greenville´s network (North Carolina)
· Genesse County´s IT systems (Michigan).
· Sugar-Salem School District (Idaho)
· ResiDex software (software for assisted living homes, group homes and organizations providing care for the elderly or disabled).
· Atlanta´s municipal systems
· Connecticut School district
· Washington’s phone and email system (Pennsylvania)
· GitHub Repositories
· American Baptist Homes of the Midwest (provider of assisted living and assisted care facilities throughout the U.S Midwest).
· Daviess County Public Library (Kentucky)
· Augustana College (Ilinois)
· The city of Baltimore (Maryland)
· Oklahoma City Public Schools
· Louisville Regional Airport Authority (Kentucky
· Lake City and Riviera Beach (Florida)
· Ellwood City Medical Center (Pennsylvania)
· NEO urology (an Ohio urology practice).
· City Power (major electricity supplier in Johannesburg)
· The city of New Bedford (Massachusetts).
· Syracuse School District (NY)
· The city of Key Biscayne (Florida)
· Georgia´s court system.
· La Porte County computer network (Indiana).
· KHSU radio station (Humboldt State University).
· Gila County computer network (Arizona).
· Lyon School District (Nevada)
· Northwest Indian College (Washington)
· Collierville Computer Network (Tennessee)
· Butler county library
· Two hospitals in Puerto Rico (Bayamón Medical Center & Puerto Rico Women and Children´s hospital).
· Steel plant Blastech
· Eurofins (UK-based forensic analysis company)
· UK’s St John Ambulance service
· 400 dental practice offices accross the US.
· Grays Harbor Comunity Hospital (GHCH) & Harbor Medical Group (HMG).
· 22 Texas local governments
· Broken Arrow Public Schools (Oklahoma)
· Asurion (Global phone insurance and tech Support based in Tennessee).
· Arizona School District
· Rockeville Center School District (NY)
· Nampa School District (Idaho).
· New Kent County Public Schools (Virginia)
· KNEO radio station (Missouri).
· Woolcott Public Schools (Connecticut).